Friday, May 08, 2009

Google Chromium experience


I was researching the Google Chromium project (the source code for the Google Chrome browser).
I checked out the latest source code from Google's repository. It was packaged nicely with Visual Studio solution file with 173(!) projects under it. The build took around 1.5 hours, lots of stuff, lots of 3rd party libraries source code including WebKit.
The thing that I was pleasantly surprised with, that it just built right out of the box, I didn't have to do any configuration, I didn't have to figure out dependencies and etc, everything that is needed for the project under one source tree. Think about it, when was the last time you checkout out the open source projects as complex as this one and didn't have to spend some time first to figure out how to build it and then fight all the build and dependency errors down the road ?

The source code is all lovely familiar C/C++ with STL/ATL/WTL, love it. Now I'm running the debug build of Chrome on my machine, and with full access to source code I can change it as much as I like and even contribute my changes to Chrome project.

Google Chrome rocks! :)

No comments: