Wednesday, October 12, 2011

MIRcon 2011

I'm attending the MIRcon 2011 conference - the second annual conference on information security that my company organizes:

http://www.mandiant.com/news_events/article/mircon_event_page

The conference is open to everybody and it is free.

Here is the couple of thoughts after the first day:
1. It's amazing how much is going on in the area of cyber security, cyber attacks prevention and instant response. Some of the stories can really make you paranoid about security of your personal data and especially (oh so popular)  the cloud security.
2. Ditch Windows. I haven't been using Windows OS actively recently. I'm doing fine with Mac OS X as my primary development platform and different distros of Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, etc.). Windows is not doing good against the cyber attacks in part because of the properties of OS itself and in part of how popular it is. The more I get familiar with different flavors of *nix (Linux, BSD, etc), the more I get impression that it's kind of more difficult to make some consistent low level type of malware or find some common security vulnerability that can be scaled well, because the *nix distros are different, with possibly different vulnerabilities and differently broken APIs.

Looking forward to the second day of the conference.

No comments: