Monday, June 27, 2011

Chromebook - first impression

Just got Chromebook today that was sent to every Google IO attendee this year and wanted to share my first impression.

Pros:

1. The start up and shutdown time is pretty fast.

2. The battery time is very good so far

3. It doesn't get as hot as MacBook Pro


Cons:

1. The Chromebook device feels flimsy. It's all plastic and it gets kind of annoying when the screen vibrates when I type on the keyboard. Might need to get used to the keyboard, missing some keys when I type fast and navigation keys layout is a bit strange.

2. The Wifi is the "corner stone" of this device is very mediocre. In the house where I have full strengh Wifi reception on my MacBook laptop the Chromebook shows just a half (two bars). It shows 3 bars out of 4 when I sit in just 4 meters from the wifi router. It said on the box that the device comes with 100MB/month 3G data allowance, and this is very limiting for the device where network presence is everything.

3. Touchpad does not feel like too responsive, probably I just might need to get used to it.

4. I do't know if it's a quality of the screen or the fonts, but the text doesn't look that pleasant for reading , especially the small fonts. Some fonts seem to be off from the fonts I got used to see in the browser on Mac or Windows.

5. Gtalk feels more limited since I can not resize the chat window or I can't pop it out, cause there is nowhere to pop it out to.

6. I still kind doubt that the browser-only OS will be sufficient for me and that I would like to keep everything I do in the cloud.

It feels like Android OS at this point has some advantages, cause one can still run web applications on it as well as the native apps.

Finally, I understand that I got the Chromebook for free and really should thank Google for this instead, but I kind of hope that my feedback would help to make the next devices and Crome OS better.

I will keep playing with Chromebook some more and maybe, who knows, will change my opinion or even find some positive aspects of this device.

So far I'm not impressed.

Update: One thing the full screen browser experience kind of lack is ability to see both browser windows side by side, it pretty much invaluable in situation when our small kid wants to watch some cartoons on youtube and I would like to read emails or news at the same time.

No comments: